Art, Craft, Recipes
by Lisa Yockelson
Baking Style: Art, Craft, Recipes by Lisa Yockelson is a storybook that invites readers along on a sweet and savory journey to explore homestyle baking—from bar, hand-formed, and drop cookies, to breads that are quick or yeast-raised wonders, towering muffins and scones, and lofty cakes and cupcakes. Baking Style is both a how-to resource book on the craft of baking and a literary journal of baking recipes.
A tour through the contents of Baking Style reveals a rich assortment of recipes that display the author's creativity and good taste in a diary-styled format, inviting the reader to take in the art of baking as the delicious, creative hobby that it is. Lisa's baking life is presented in many thoughtful, whimsical, and instructional ways. Among them:
- In pastperfect, a blushing birthday girl cupcake, complete with swirls and garlands of pink frosting, is presented as her favorite birthday treat and the recipe for "a 14-year-old's rolls still tasty after all these years" is offered in the essay called learning to knead and describes one of her early kitchen capers (hint: the dough clogged up the dishwasher)
- In downhome, an all-grown-up Lisa offers two recipes for her best dinner rolls within the essay establishing a tradition and chocolate chip cookies get their loving due in the essay bundles of joy (including a must-bake recipe, "when chocolate chip cookies go butterscotch")
- If you are wondering how many times a favorite brownie recipe can get reconfigured, be sure to read and bake "forever brownies," a stylemark of perfect texture and chocolatey goodness
- In very naughty, Lisa turns the tables on a waffle batter ("cocoa waffles" with "very bittersweet chocolate cream spread"), making it fudgy-to-the-core
- If butter is your favorite flavor, don't miss the 4 simple and simply-rich interpretations of shortbread in a delicious crumble featured in the chapter, intense bold
A hallmark of Baking Style is Lisa's essays that take a magnifying-glass look into how a particular recipe came to be in her hands, framing the recipes that accompany. A comprehensive baker's guide to ingredients, technique, and equipment rounds out this full-length book, making it a perfect addition to the kitchen library of both beginning and seasoned cooks alike. In addition to detailed information for learning the special techniques of the baking process and recipes that glow with perfectly created flavors and textures, Baking Style is infused with discoveries, inspirations, and exacting but simple confections for capturing the art of baking at home.
About the Authors
A graduate of the London Cordon Bleu, Lisa Yockelson is the two-time IACP-award-winning author of Baking by Flavor and ChocolateChocolate. Lisa's baking articles, essays, and recipes have appeared in numerous national magazines and newspapers, including the literary Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture.
- Baking Style: Art, Craft, Recipes
- by Lisa Yockelson
- Wiley 2012
- 528 pages; Hardcover; U.S.: $45.00
- ISBN: 0470437022
- ISBN-13: 978-0470437025
- Information provided by the publisher.
Buy Baking Style
This page created January 2012