Roesti Potato Pancakes
Serving Size: 2
Preparation Time :0:15
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes baked or boiled
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbl butter high fat content preferred.
- Bake potatoes and let them cool
- When cool, peel them and shred them on a hand grater using the largest opening. You can also use the shredder blade on a Cuisinart. Don't press hard. Sprinkle with salt.
- Melt 1/2 the butter in a non stick pan. Add half the potatoes, and stir well to coat the potatoes with butter. Separate the potatoes into 4 portions, and press with a spatula while they cook so they will stick together. Set heat to medium. When the potatoes are crisp on one side, turn them over, and cook until crisp on the other side. It is not a big thing if they don't stay together in perfect pancakes. What is important is that they are thin and buttery and very crisp.
Notes: Chef Albert Stockli was making these at the Four Seasons restaurant in New York City one day when I was delivering fresh herbs in the pot for him. He gave me one to taste, "Wonderful, Chef!" I said. "Almost as good as my mother made," he said, dolefully shaking his head. I have often thought how lucky this great Chef was, having a mother who could cook like that!
Steve's #22 Jewish Holiday Recipes
- Sweet Potato Latkes
- Cheese Latkes Judith
- Schmaltz (Rendering Chicken or Goose Fat)
- Crepes (for the "en Aumoniere")
- Fresh Apple Sauce
- Roesti Potato Pancakes
- Vegetarian Potato Cutlets (Mom's End of the Month Recipe)
- Pommes Duchesse
- Baked Apples (Dad's Recipe Handed Down to Me)
- Holiday eGGnog
©1996, Steve K. Holzinger. All rights reserved.
This Archived Page created between 1994 and 2001. Modified August 2007