Noma: Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine by René Redzepi includes recipes like Sea Buckthorn and Beetroot Flødeboller; Musk Ox and Fresh Young Garlic, Milk Skin and Caramelized Garlic; and Beetroot and Aromatic Seeds, Red Gooseberries and Dewberries.
Beetroot and Aromatic Seeds,
Red Gooseberries and Dewberries
- 4 big, long beetroot (beet)
- 10 red gooseberries
- 32 dewberries
- 80g red beetroot (beet) juice
- 160g red gooseberry juice
- Apple balsamic vinegar
- Angelica shoots
- Coriander (cilantro) shoots
- Lavender flowers
- Yarrow flowers
- Red onion flowers
- Lemon thyme
- Fresh seeds of wild parsnip
- 35g rapeseed (canola) oil
Cook half the beetroot in salted water for approximately 1 hour until tender, and skin them before they cool. Slice thinly on a mandolin, then cut the slices into rounds of 30 mm diameter. Peel the remaining beetroot and slice and cut them in the same way as the cooked ones.
Top and tail (trim) the gooseberries and cut them in half. Remove any stems and leaves from the dewberries.
Mix the 2 juices and heat them to lukewarm.
Add a drop of vinegar and a sprinkle of salt to each half gooseberry. Place all the berries in a bowl and arrange the finely sliced beetroot, cooked and raw, around them. Crush the angelica and coriander shoots lightly, then sprinkle them and a selection of the flowers and herbs on top of the beetroot. Add the rapeseed oil to the lukewarm sauce, mix, add to the plate and serve.
Time and Place in Nordic Cuisine
- by René Redzepi
- Photography by Ditte Isager
- Phaidon 2010
- Hardback; $49.95; 365 Pages; 200 Color Photographs
- ISBN-10: 0714859036
- ISBN-13: 9780714859033
- Reprinted by permission.
- Sea Buckthorn and Beetroot Flødeboller
- Musk Ox and Fresh Young Garlic, Milk Skin and Caramelized Garlic
- Beetroot and Aromatic Seeds, Red Gooseberries and Dewberries
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created April 2011