Easy Chinese Recipes, Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao by Bee Yinn Low includes recipes like Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup Su Mi Ji Rou Tang; Chinese Broccoli with Oyster Sauce; and Crispy Roast Pork Siu Yuk.
Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup
Su Mi Ji Rou Tang
Serves 4 as part of a multicourse meal
My friends' two-year-old son is a huge fan of sweet corn and minced chicken soup. It's the only Chinese soup he would eat without spitting it out. Come to think about it, this soup is family friendly, especially for kids. The creamy sweet corn and minced chicken combinations produce a light-tasting soup that's easy on the palate, plus it's healthy and nutritional. Try this soup on some children, and if none are available I am certain you won't mind savoring a bowl or two yourself.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 oz (175 g) ground chicken
- 1-3/4 cups (425 ml) Homemade Chicken Stock (page 31 of the book)
or 1 can (14 oz/400 g) store-bought chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 1 can (8-1/4 oz/250 g) creamy sweet corn
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Coriander leaves (cilantro), to garnish
1. Mix the cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Stir to blend well. Set aside.
2. Break up the ground chicken into small pieces using a fork.
3. Bring to boil the chicken broth and water in a pot. Lower the heat to medium and add the ground chicken into the soup. Skim off the foam on the surface.
4. Add the creamy sweet corn, white pepper, salt, and thicken the soup with the cornstarch mixture. Stir the soup with a ladle and turn off the heat.
5. Swirl the beaten eggs into the soup and immediately stir three times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the pot with its lid for 2 minutes. The eggs should be cooked and will form into silken threads.
6. Dish out into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with the coriander leaves. Serve immediately.
Easy Chinese Recipes:
Family Favorites From Dim Sum to Kung Pao
- by Bee Yinn Low
- Andrews McMeel Publishing 2011
- Hardcover; $25.00
- ISBN-10: 0804841470
- ISBN-13: 9780804841470
- Reprinted by permission.
- Sweet Corn and Chicken Soup Su Mi Ji Rou Tang
- Chinese Broccoli with Oyster Sauce
- Crispy Roast Pork Siu Yuk
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created September 2011