300 Best Taco Recipes, From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas by Kelley Cleary Coffeen includes recipes like Calabacitas Tacos; Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa; and Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish.
Makes 8 tacos
This is a traditional dish served with a grilled meat or chicken. It comes from the original casserole of corn and squash. The sweet corn and zucchini taste is heightened with the addition of black beans.
Drained canned or thawed frozen corn kernels work in this recipe. Grilled or pre-roasted corn will add additional flavor.
Increase zucchini to 2 cups (500 mL) if summer squash is out of season or hard to find.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped summer squash (see Tips)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped zucchini
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked corn kernels (see Tips)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 6- to 8-inch (15 to 20 cm) flour or corn tortillas,
skillet-warmed (page 15 of the book)
- Pico de Gallo (recipe below)
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Sauté onion, garlic, summer squash, zucchini, corn and parsley until vegetables are tender-crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and stir in cheese until melted.
2. To build tacos, divide corn mixture equally among tortillas. Top with Pica de Gallo. Fold tortillas in half.
Pico de Gallo
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
This is a salsa I use more than any other. These flavors capture the true essence of Mexico, crisp and refreshing! I can't think of a taco this does not taste good on—well maybe a sweet one.
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, greens parts only, minced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 2 serrano chile peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) minced fresh cilantro
- Juice of 2 limes
- Kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, green onions, jalapeños, serrano chiles, onion and cilantro. Add lime juice and mix well. Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or for up to 24 hours. Add salt to taste just before serving.
300 Best Taco Recipes:
From Tantalizing Tacos to Authentic Tortillas, Sauces, Cocktails and Salsas
- by Kelley Cleary Coffeen
- Robert Rose 2011
- Paperback; 368 Pages; 24.95 US 27.95 CAN
- ISBN-10: 0778802671
- ISBN-13: 9780778802679
- Reprinted by permission.
- Calabacitas Tacos
- Pollo Piccata Tacos with Citrus Salsa
- Cuban Tacos with Chopped Pickles and Red Onion Relish
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2011