The Entertaining Encyclopedia by Denise Vivaldo, includes articles and recipes like International Party Themes; Wine and Cheese Parties; Cheese Board with Bread and Cracker Assortment; Oscar Night Party; and Crab and Blue Cheese Bundles.
Crab and Blue Cheese Bundles
or can be multiplied up to 4 times
If you think you're making enough of these, double it—they go faster than hotcakes. Crabmeat comes in four basic varieties: lump or jumbo lump, the solid white meat from the back legs; backfin, from the body and legs, with good color; special, which is shredded; and claw meat, small reddish-brown pieces of meat from the claws. Choose lump or backfin meat for this recipe.
Make these little bundles a day ahead and refrigerate in an airtight container. Reheat in a 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) oven before serving.
- Candy/deep-fry thermometer
- 12 oz cooked lump crabmeat, 375 g
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese, 50 mL
- 2 tbsp finely chopped chives, 25 mL
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, 25 mL
- 2 tbsp cream cheese, softened, 25 mL
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 18 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable or canola oil
1. In a bowl, combine crab, blue cheese, chives, mayonnaise and cream cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Place a generous teaspoon (5 mL) of crab mixture in the center of each wrapper, then lightly moisten the inside edges with water. Gather edges together to make little sacks and pinch to seal.
3. In a deep, heavy saucepan, heat 3 inches (7.5 cm) of oil over medium heat until it registers 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) on thermometer. Working in batches, fry crab bundles until golden, about 4 minutes. Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove bundles to a plate lined with paper towels to drain before serving.
You can make this dish with lobster or bay shrimp meat instead of the crab.
The Entertaining Encyclopedia
Essential Tips and Recipes for Perfect Parties
- by Denise Vivaldo
- Robert Rose 2009
- ISBN-10: 0778802191
- ISBN: 978-0-7788-0219-8
- Excerpt reprinted by permission.
Excerpts and Recipes
- International Party Themes
- Wine and Cheese Parties
- Cheese Board with Bread and Cracker Assortment
- Oscar Night Party
- Crab and Blue Cheese Bundles
For more entertaining ideas, visit Party Recipes.
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created February 2010