Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad
Serve this colorful salad as a surprise addition to the Fourth of July picnic. Since the colors are important, don't substitute other potato varieties for the ones specified. The recipe comes courtesy of the United States Potato Board.
- 1 pound small white potatoes
(creamer fingerling or Yukon Gold)
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 12 ounces purple Peruvian potatoes
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil or olive oil,
divided in three parts
- 2 ounces chopped ham
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sherry or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup finely chopped red or orange bell pepper
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cut the potatoes into 1-1/2-inch pieces (do not peel). Steam for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the walnut or olive oil in a medium skillet. Add the ham, walnuts, and garlic and cook, stirring, for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and stir well. In a large bowl, toss ham mixture with potatoes, remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, bell pepper, scallions, salt, and pepper. Serve warm or cold.
65 Recipes from Classic to Cool
- by Debbie Moose
- Wiley 2009
- Hardcover; $16.95; 128 pages
- ISBN-10: 0470283483
- ISBN-13: 978-0-470-28348-61
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy Potato Salad
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created June 2009