Zanzibar Fish Soup
From Mnemba Island Lodge, Zanzibar (Tanzania)
- 30ml olive oil
- 15ml sesame oil
- 5ml chilli oil
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 30ml fresh coriander stems, chopped
- 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 red chilli, seeded and diced
- 375ml dry white wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 strips dried orange peel
- 500g crab claws
- 1kg mussels, cleaned
- 600ml water
- 2ml saffron threads
- 500g fresh fish, cubed
- 8 spring onions, washed and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, peeled
- Salt and ground black pepper
Heat the three oils in a large saucepan.
Add the shallots, garlic, coriander stems, ginger and chilli and cook until soft but not brown.
Add the white wine, bay leaves and orange peel and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 10 minutes and add the crab.
Cover the pan and cook for 5 minutes. Add the mussels and cook for a further 5 minutes until the shells open. Discard any mussels which stay closed.
Remove the mussels and crab claws and set aside.
Pass the cooking liquid through a fine sieve. Add water and saffron .
Bring the fish broth to a simmer and add the fish cubes. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the spring onions and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add the cherry tomatoes, mussels and crab claws and cook until heated through.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Serve with lightly spiced cooked brown rice, sorghum wheat or millet if desired.
- A Kitchen Safari
Stories & Recipes from the African Wilderness
- by Dumi Ndlovu and Yvonne Short
- Struik Publishers 2007
- Hardcover, $29.95
- 192 pages/Color photos throughout
- ISBN-10: 177007127X
- ISBN-13: 978-1770071278
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy A Kitchen Safari
Excerpt: A Culinary Tour of Africa
- Smoked Springbok Carpaccio with Summer Greens (Namibia)
- Zanzibar Fish Soup (Tanzania)
- Botswana Beef (Botswana)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created October 2007