Served on CC Africa's mobile safaris (in Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
- 250ml beer
- 125ml olive oil
- 60ml soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 thumb fresh root ginger, peeled and crushed
- 2 red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 5ml paprika
- 10ml ground peppercorns
- 10ml coriander seeds, crushed
- 4 x 225g fillet steaks
- 45ml olive oil for cooking
- 8 large cloves whole garlic, peeled
- Salt and ground pepper
- 4 banana leaves
- Fresh chillies
In a deep ceramic dish combine the beer, olive oil, soy sauce, crushed garlic, ginger, chillies, paprika, ground peppercorns and coriander.
Add the steaks and coat well with marinade. Leave for at least 6 hours.
Heat a large cast-iron pan. Add the olive oil for cooking, steaks and whole garlic.
Seal steaks for 3 minutes on each side, then cook until ready.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Wrap each fillet in a strip of banana leaf and garnish with fresh chillies as per photograph.
- A Kitchen Safari
Stories & Recipes from the African Wilderness
- by Dumi Ndlovu and Yvonne Short
- Struik Publishers 2007
- Hardcover, $29.95
- 192 pages/Color photos throughout
- ISBN-10: 177007127X
- ISBN-13: 978-1770071278
- Recipe reprinted by permission.
Buy A Kitchen Safari
Excerpt: A Culinary Tour of Africa
- Smoked Springbok Carpaccio with Summer Greens (Namibia)
- Zanzibar Fish Soup (Tanzania)
- Botswana Beef (Botswana)
- Cookbook Profile Archive
This page created October 2007