Cakes. Candies. Brownies. Cookies. ‘Tis the season for lots of sweets; however, lots of sweets mean a lot of sugar and calories that can cause weight gain and other diseases.
So, what should you do during the holidays? Will you just let go of all the sweet things and feel deprived at the end of the day?
Well, no worries, because nowadays there are artificial sweeteners that you can use in baking and cooking. One of the popular artificial sweeteners that are low-calorie is Splenda. If you are wondering if Splenda can be caramelized and used in cooking, here is a straightforward answer.
Since it is made from sucralose, a distant cousin of sugar, Splenda can also be caramelized. The process happens more quickly than regular sugar, so the addition of a small amount of water can prevent Splenda from overheating or burning.
Splenda can be used in baking as long as you use the Splenda baking formulation that has low-caloric fillers added for bulk.
Though the use of artificial sweeteners can help in reducing the impact on blood sugar and insulin production, most of them are not suited to high temperatures, especially in baking.
It is because heat can cause them to break down and become bitter. Others are not suitable as they can cause browning and affect the moisture and texture of the product.
Since Splenda is an artificial sweetener, you can expect that it may melt or caramelize differently with regular sugar. Splenda is made from Sucralose that belongs to the same family as regular sugar.
When it comes to the process of caramelization, Splenda caramelizes faster than sugar. That’s why it is recommended to add a little amount of water to prevent it from overheating and burning.
If you want to use Splenda, as your sweetener for baking, you may follow this guide.
These products give distinction to your baked goods, such as volume, texture, browning, and moisture retention with reduced calories and carbohydrates of sugar.
When following a recipe, simply make it to a half cup of Splenda Sugar Blends for every full cup of sugar required.
When replacing Splenda Sugar Blend for sugar in recipes, use half the amount of Splenda Sugar Blend as you would sugar. Take note that one-half cup of Splenda Sugar Blend has the sweetness of 1 cup of sugar.
If you mix Splenda Sugar Blends into melted chocolate or butter, a few teaspoons of milk can help in keeping a smooth texture.
Combine all dry ingredients in a huge blending bowl. Eliminate the excess into the dry ingredients before adding the fluid ingredients. This will diminish the sum and presence of air burrows found in the cake after baking.
Likewise, when preparing cakes, changing from 9″ round cake dish to 8″ round cake skillet with 2″ sides will assist with accomplishing a superior-rise.
Yeast bread rises well with Splenda Sugar Blend. There is sufficient sugar present to take care of the yeast, accelerate the fermentation, and help in the cooking of the bread.
When heating Splenda Sugar Blend all alone to soften or caramelize, it will break down more promptly with the incorporation of a limited quantity of water. Pan caramelization happens all the more rapidly with this item contrasted with regular sugar, so watch the interaction cautiously to avoid overheating or burning
Cookies might spread less when utilizing Splenda Sugar Blend. To assist with accomplishing a better spread, press, and level the batter gently with your fingertips or a fork.
Prepared products made with Splenda Sugar Blend will remain fresh for 24 hours, when put away in an airtight container at room temperature. If you wish to keep your baked products longer, wrap well and freeze.
Here are the most widely recognized artificial sugars that everyone can utilize in baking:
It can substitute a portion of the sugar, however will leave a metallic lingering flavor and may bring about a knotty surface.
- 300-times better than sugar
- 1 tsp. sugar = ½ bundle or ½ tsp. mass Sweet’N Low
Not for preparing as it loses pleasantness in high warmth. May work in custards and puddings.
- 200-times better than sugar
- 1 tsp. sugar = ½ parcel
Can be utilized in heating, however, will yield a slight severe lingering flavor
- 200-times better than sugar
- 1 tsp. sugar = ½ parcel
Created to be utilized in preparing as the sweetness holds up to high warmth with no metallic or severe lingering flavor.
- 8,000-times better than sugar
- Not broadly accessible for procurement
These are not unadulterated stevia, but rather a type of stevia known as Rebaudioside A. It is normally blended in with erythritol after preparation.
It is heat stable, so it can be utilized in baking; nonetheless, these sugars don’t caramelize or crystallize so you won’t get the cooking impact wanted in certain prepared products. Not suitable for use in meringues.
- 200 to 300-times better than sugar
- 1 tsp. sugar = ½ bundle
Useful for preparing with no persistent flavor; has fewer calories than sugar, yet isn’t zero-calorie like numerous other artificial sweeteners.
- 150-times better than sugar
- 1 tsp. sugar = ½ bundle or ¼ tsp.
PB&J Granola Bars
- 1 cup without sugar strawberry jam
- ½ cup without sugar peanut butter
- 3 tablespoon Splenda® Allulose Sweetener
- 3 cups moved oats
- ¼ cup hacked unsalted peanuts
- Preheat the stove to 350°F. Oil an 8″ x 8″ preparing dish with a non-stick cooking splash. Line preparing dish with a material paper sling, driving material into corners and upsides of the dish.
- Bring jam, peanut butter, and Splenda Allulose Sweetener to stew in a little pan over medium warmth. Cook, mixing continually until the blend thickens, around 5 minutes. Mix in oats and eliminate from heat.
- Move oat blend into an arranged preparing dish and press into an even layer. Press hacked peanuts into oat blend. Heat until the oats are light brilliant brown, around 15 to 20 minutes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until chilled.
- Eliminate oat combination from dish utilizing material paper sling. Cut into 15 equivalent squares. Serve quickly or store in a sealed shut holder.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1 cup regular peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon unadulterated vanilla concentrate
- 5 tablespoons Splenda® Stevia Sweetener Jar
- ¼ cup stevia-improved chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Consolidate all ingredients in a bowl and mix until everything is combined as one well.
- Scoop into tablespoon-sized treat batter balls, and press down marginally to frame a treat shape (treats won’t rise, and just spread somewhat).
- Prepare for around 10 – 12 minutes. Let cool totally.
Mini Cinnamon Rolls
For the cinnamon rolls:
- 1 bundle dynamic dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons Splenda® Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon fit salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine, dissolved and cooled
For the center of cinnamon rolls:
- ½ cup Splenda® Brown Sugar Blend
- ¼ cup unsalted margarine, dissolved
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
For the whipped cream cheese drizzle:
- 2 ounces whipped light cream cheddar
- ½ teaspoon unadulterated vanilla concentrate
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 2-3 tablespoons Splenda® Allulose Sweetener
- Set up a 15-check biscuit tin by showering liberally with a nonstick cooking splash.
- In a medium bowl, break up yeast in water. Blend in with a wooden spoon until completely dissolved. Mix in sugar, salt, and 1 ½ cups of flour, beating admirably with a wooden spoon. Mix in dissolved margarine and egg. Mix energetically to blend in the last 1 ½ cups of flour.
- Cover the batter and spot it in a warm piece of the kitchen to allow it to rise 1 – 1 ½ hours. Punch down the mixture, turn it out onto a floured surface, and roll it into a square shape about ¼ inch thick, 12 inches long, and around 15 inches wide.
- Mix the ingredients for the middle. Carefully spread blend over the mixture inside ¼ inch of the edges. Roll batter toward you, a smidgen at a time, until you have a 15-inch sign before you. Cut the sign into 1-inch cuts, and spot every cinnamon roll in a biscuit tin. Allow the rolls to rise for an additional 30 minutes in a warm spot.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Heat cinnamon rolls for around 15 minutes, or until they are a light brilliant brown on top and cooked in the middle. Eliminate and let cool.
- Utilizing an electric blender, whip elements for the cream cheddar shower together. Start with simply a shower of milk, and afterward add somewhat more to get the right consistency. Utilize Whipped Cream Cheese Drizzle on top of warm – or cool – Mini Cinnamon Rolls.